So I get the question all the time “What foods do I need to be eating to get FIT?”
That is a great question, but in order to get “Fit” that is not the question you need to be asking. The better question is: “What foods do I need to avoid in order to get “Fit?”
To be totally honest with you people don’t want to hear that. People want to know what they ADD not what they can take away. Our society is one that wants to BUY something in order to get results. The most important thing you can do is to take away the things that are making you obese, out of shape, or just maybe a little soft.
In a Nut Shell the things you need to avoid are things that are WHITE.
If it is White, it is a good idea to avoid it.
-SUGAR (and with this comes the things that have Sugar in them)
-All GRAINS (yes…. even whole wheat)
Now, there are plenty of other things on the avoid list but this is a good place to start.
Stay away from these things and you will be on your way.
Here is a list of things that once you avoid the above, you can eat that will help on your journey to your physical goals. Weather that’s to be the next CrossFit Games Champ, Fitness Model, or you just want to look good, these things when eaten in conjunction with an consistent exercise routine will have you on your way.
Eat this stuff.
1) Bacon– This amazingly diverse food is looked down upon in a lot of fitness circles, especially ones that focus on weight loss. Bacon is a food that has protein and fat, both of which are key macronutrients. Bacon can be used as a main dish or a garnish. Really anything, it is probably my favorite food.
2) Sweet Potatoes– this is one of the best carbs on the planet. It is a low glycemic carb so it does not spike your insulin. It gives you a slow release of energy and can be eaten a million different ways. They contain vitamin D, which is critical for immune system and overall health. Both a vitamin and a hormone, vitamin D is primarily made in our bodies as a result of getting adequate sunlight. Vitamin D plays an important role in our energy levels, moods, and helps to build healthy bones, heart, nerves, skin, and teeth, and it supports the thyroid gland.
3) Beef– Beef got a bad wrap back when the government told us that we needed to adhere to a LOW FAT diet. Yes, beef has fat, but the thing is, fat is not bad. We need fat in our diet, especially if you are avoiding the above foods and going with a lower carb lifestyle. It is also loaded with zinc. You need zinc from foods because it helps build muscle mass, strengthens your immune system and helps promote a healthy brain. The average person needs 15 mg of zinc each day. A 3-oz. portion of lean ground beef contains 5.5 mg of zinc, and a serving of sirloin steak supplies 6.2 mg. Beef is also loaded with protein. The protein you get from red meat contains all the amino acids necessary to build muscle and repair tissue. Muscle mass is essential because it gives you the ability to be physically active, but it also produces enzymes and hormones that help prevent illness. Protein has also been linked to weight loss, since it satisfies hunger and keeps you satisfied for hours following your meal. BEEF….You need to eat it.
4) Broccoli– Ok, so I probably lost some of you ther, but hang with me. Broccoli is a smart carb and is high in fiber, which aids in digestion, prevents constipation, maintains low blood sugar, and curbs overeating. Broccoli has multiple ingredients that have been proven to be anti-inflammatory agents. Here is a list of a few if you want to do more research. (Sulforaphane, Kaempferol and Isothiocyanates)
5) Eggs– Eggs are a very good source of inexpensive, high quality protein. Eggs are considered by many the most perfect food on the planet. More than half the protein of an egg is found in the egg white. The whites are rich sources of selenium, vitamin D, B6, B12 and minerals such as zinc, iron and copper. Egg yolks contain more calories and fat than the white part. They are the source of cholesterol, fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. Eggs are regarded as a ‘complete’ source of protein as they contain all eight essential amino acids; the ones we cannot synthesize in our bodies and must obtain from our diet.
6) Avocados– Labeled the “Worlds Healthiest Food” Avocados comes from a tree and is loaded with many health benefits. The monounsaturated (Good) Fat in Avocados can reverse insulin resistance, which can help regulate blood sugar levels. They also contain Soluble fiber which keep steady blood sugar levels. Perhaps the biggest health benefit of the Avocado is that by adding to certain foods, you can improve your absorption of nutrients
One last interesting thing about this super food. Avocados are one of the best natural mouth wash and bad breath remedies. It cleanses the intestine, which is the real cause of a coated tongue and bad breath. Read this fact: over 53 million pounds of Guacamole is eaten every Super Bowl Sunday. That’s a lot of Avocados.
All of this food is in our grocery buggy on a weekly basis, with the exception of the beef because we have a whole cow butchered 2x a year.
They are all diverse and seasoned and cooked in a number of different styles.
Remember take the bad out then put in the good.
Hope this helps.
Any questions email me at firstname.lastname@example.org