Salad is one of those things that is viewed by many as a “Diet” food or an appetizer.
In our home we have salad as dinner about 3 times a month and the kids love it. With Kids it’s all about the toppings and the dressing. You have to make it pleasing to the eye in order for kids to want to try it.
For us we like to make as many things as possible homemade. I know that takes more time, but the more homemade stuff you make the more you know what is going into your body. Would you like to try a FREE Week of
There are so many advantages to a salad when it comes to our health.
- Possibilities are unlimited on what you can create.
- Making it a meal is easy.
- It is inexpensive.
- You are eating real food.
Here is what we use to make ours
- 16 oz Organic Spring Mix (Lettuce, spinach, Kale)
- 1- 8 oz Container of Organic Grape Tomatoes
- 4- Hard Boiled Eggs
- 1 Cucumber diced
- 2 Carrots Spun in the Benriner. (if you do not have one of these, you must get one)
- 4 Slices of Bacon cooked in the skillet, oven or microwave
- 1 Hidden Valley Buttermilk Ranch Packet
- 1 Cup of Hellmann’s Real Mayo
- 1 Cup of Buttermilk (Full Fat is best)
- Protein of your choice.
- Pulled Chicken from a whole chicken you buy at the grocery store deli
- Leftover Steak
- Ground Beef or Turkey
Giving instructions is not needed but I will give them any way.
- Layer your bowl with the greens
- Then pile everything else on there you would like to.
- Top it off with you dressing.
A Great Salad is super quick and amazingly healthy.
If you are looking to watch your fat intake you will want to do a couple of things.
- Pick a lean meat such as turkey or chicken breast.
- Leave off the yolks and bacon. (For the Paleo and Keto community this is a sin, but for those of you watching your Fat intake stay away)
- Pick a Different Dressing.
- Ranch taste great but it is higher in fat than some of its other choices. Look for a Vinaigrette or something with juice or vinegar.
More than anything have fun with it and eat as many REAL foods as possible.
QUESTION: What is you favorite salad dressing? (Post a link to it in the comments)