Tuna is an amazing source of protein and a stellar snack food. There are tons of different delicious dishes that feature tuna, but today we have an amazing recipe for tuna cakes that I know you will love. This recipe is simple, quick, and great for the whole family.
The tuna we are using is the safest on the market it is a brand called Safe Catch it is great for athletes, kids, and pregnant women. The levels of mercury are the lowest in the industry because safe catch tests every fish they use.
- 3 cans (5 ounces each) solid white tuna in water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped, plus a few sprigs saved for garnish
- 1/3 cup of pork rinds
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (greek yogurt can be used instead)
- 1-1½ whole lemons juiced
- ½ large onion finely chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons extra light, olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- In a large strainer, in the sink over a large bowl, add the 3 cans of tuna and let them drain while you prepare the following ingredients.
- Sauté the onions for about 5 minutes in a sauté pan, until translucent. Set aside and let cool.
- While the onions are cooking, in a large mixing bowl, add the mayo, lemon juice, salt and pepper and whisk till combined. Then add cilantro to the mixture.
- Add the tuna, beaten eggs, cooked onions and pork rinds, and mix gently until ingredients just hold together.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil on high for about a minute, then turn it down to medium high.
- Working in batches, using a packed one-third cup measure of tuna mixture per cake, cook cakes until golden brown and crisp on the outside, about 3 minutes per side. You may need to add a tablespoon of oil to the pan between batches. Serve hot, or warm over a simple arugula or kale salad. Recipe makes 6-8 patties.
Let us know in the comments below what your favorite way to make tuna is!
Follow us for more delicious and quick recipes for a healthier lifestyle at: