Picture this; you get done with work after a long, tiring day. You’re hungry and all you can think about is some delicious (and unhealthy) Chinese take-out. Your mind is telling you no because you don’t want to lose everything your hard workouts the past week have earned you with one dinner. But, your heart just cannot stop craving a plate of teriyaki chicken and rice.
Don’t worry, I have your answer– A delicious meal that will not only satisfy (and maybe exceed) all of your cravings, but it also won’t make you feel guilty while enjoying it. Sound too good to be true?
These delicious and healthy Honey Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls feature tender chicken that is sautéed until juicy, then simmered in a homemade, healthy teriyaki sauce. They are served with fresh veggies and rice. I promise, you will forget all about takeout!
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Total Time: 20 min
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (gluten free if needed)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 pounds raw boneless chicken breast or tenders
- 2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 2 cups steamed broccoli florets
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- Garnish, sesame seeds
- Sauce: In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Whisk well until all ingredients are incorporated. Set aside.
- Rice: In a medium saucepan, cook the rice according to the package instructions. During the last 7 minutes, add the broccoli and cook until tender and crisp. Set aside and keep warm.
- Chicken: While rice cooks, in a large saute pan, preheat over medium-high heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook until golden brown on one side, 3 minutes. Flip chicken and add the sauce ingredients. Cook the chicken until it is no longer pink and the sauce is thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- To serve, divide the rice and broccoli between 4 bowls. Top with chicken, sauce, green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.
Let us know in the comments below if you enjoyed this better-than-takeout meal!
Follow us for more delicious recipes for a healthier lifestyle at: